Sunday 16 November 2014

Introductory Post

The Kite Runner

by Khaled Hosseini


Set in the 1970's during the dying years of the Afghan monarchy, The Kite Runner tells us the tale of a young Afghan boy, Amir, and his servant (and constant companion), Hassan. The boys friendship is torn apart when Amir and his father move to California to escape the collapsing monarchy. Years later Amir receives a phone call from an old family friend reminding him, "There is a way to be good again". He travels back to his home town in Afghanistan to try to change his past for the better.


I know if I'm interested in a book within the first chapter and as I read through the first pages of this book I instantly became hooked. The author, Khaled Hosseini, writes The Kite Runner in a very simplistic style. This makes the story very easy to follow and helps to keep you in the moment without distracting you with complex phrases or words. The author does a fine job of describing what Hassan, Baba, and Ali look like, although I would like to read more about what the protagonist, Amir, looks like. Knowing what the characters look like helps me picture the story as I read it. I am really looking forward to learning more about these characters and where the story takes me next.

No comments:

Post a Comment